Thursday, October 30, 2008

WARNING TO TV COUCH (BED)POTATOES

I had quite fright a week ago. I was watching TV in bed and had rolled up a pillow to prop up my head. On sitting up, I found that my whole body had gone "heavy". I then proceeded to experience pins and needles all over my body. I lay down quickly, thinking I had just sat up too quickly. On and off during the night, I experienced "shocks" to my whole body, although I wasn't moving at all. In fact, in my mind I was calling out to my husband to help me, but apparently that was not the case. I am sure I also blacked out for a few seconds, as I had the sensation of everything being pitch black. Once the "shocks" had subsided, I had a pounding headache; I could feel the blood pumping in my ears. The next morning it felt like a bus had run over me.
I went to see the doctor and he said I had experienced a series of "minor strokes" or "Transient Ischemic Attacks", probably triggered by the pillow under my neck, which cut off the blood flow.
Well, I felt rather silly that I had perhaps caused the whole nasty episode.
Anyhow, I have been for various tests and all seems to be alright. I still have to undergo a CT scan to ensure that a clood clot did not form and is lurking inside my head somewhere. It is quite scary to think that by doing something so normal, could have ended up having far more serious consequences.
So...this is a warning to all the TV couch potatoes out there, make sure you support you head and body evenly awhen watching TV and please....don't roll up that pillow.

No comments:

Followers