Thursday, October 30, 2008

GETTING READY FOR THE DREADED CHRISTMAS PRESENT SEARCH

I have an intense dislike this time of the year. As the year draws to a close, I break into a sweat, trying to think of gifts to buy/make for the family. It wouldn't be so bad if I just had to buy for my immediate family i.e. husband and kids and moms, but it's the extended family that gives me a headache.
I have, unfortuantely, created a precendet in that I always like to give gifts that are different and are suited to each particular member of the family. This often means that I spend a lot of my time making individual gifts. Sometimes I have enven ended up finishing off a gift the night before Christmas day, instead of relaxing and enjoying my time with the family. I always think it will be cheaper to make gifts, than to go out a buy them, but I think my mindset is changing. After spending hours making a creative gift, when it comes to wrapping it, I always feel that it isn't enough, maybe because I have made it and not bought it from a shop. I then rush out and buy something small to go with it! In the end, instead of saving money by making gifts, I end up spending more than I would have if I had just bought some normal gift from a shop. I always feel so cross with myself, after Christmas has come and gone, when I think what I could have spent the money on (paint for the house, plants for the garden). My problem is that I so enjoy making creative things, so it will be difficult for me to change now.
However, this year I have engaged the services of my eldest daughter, who is very money concious and could never understand my feelings of inadequacy about my home made gifts. She has offered to organise the gifts this year, although we will still be making gifts, she will chain me down if she sees the slightest hint of panic in my eyes about the gift not being good enough and feeling the urge to rush out to buy a back-up.
So maybe this year will be better and I will have a little extra money left over to buy things for the house or maybe even save for a holiday.
Examples of some of the gifts I have made over the years:
Wooden Garfield bird feeders/ "Hot cats" bags to warm in the microwave/ appliqued African table cloth/ appliqued play mat (town, cars, trees,shops etc)/paper machier door stops (crickt player, ballerina, rastafarian)/ braai apron with special bib relating to the person receiving it)/Victorian pot pourri slippers/ Victorian jewellery hangars/canvas paintings/brandy liqueur/coffee liqueur/ chicken mesh fish braai holder...to name but a few.

No comments:

Followers